Monday, March 25, 2013

English Skills Learning Center (ESLC)


Utah is home to thousands of refugees who have fled poor conditions in their homelands in home of a better life in America. The goal of the English Skills LearningCenter (ESLC) is to assist non-English speaking adult refugees and immigrants in learning English and acclimating in to American life. The ESLC currently tutors nearly 500 individuals from 40 different countries.
Here are ten reasons why I love volunteering with the English Skills Learning Center!

1.      The students love to learn! I am excited every time I go to teach a class because the students cheer me up with their positive attitudes about life and learning.

2.      The ESLC staff is SO supportive! I am never nervous to teach because I know I have the support of a wonderful, experienced mentor when preparing lessons if needed.

3.      I get to be creative when preparing my lessons! I have learned a lot about what works, what doesn’t, and how to prepare activities that the students will enjoy and find useful.

4.      There are a variety of student levels I can teach! Individuals need help in all stages of their transition, whether learning basic English, applying for citizenship, or getting a driver’s license.

5.      I get to see the students’ progress! I love when I can tell the students really understand something they didn’t know before. I know I am truly helping them improve the quality of their daily lives.

6.      I can get to know my students! Whether it’s a one-on-one class or a small group class, I am teaching the same students over an extended period of time so I can really get to know the students and appreciate their improvement.

7.      I get a glimpse into other cultures! I have taught students from all over – Burma, Bhutan, Somalia, the Congo, Nepal, Mexico, Iraq, Iran – and I love hearing about life in other places.

8.      The ESLC is accommodating about teaching locations! There are a variety of places I can select from to teach at, depending on what works for me.

9.      The training is excellent! Going to the training was so beneficial. I learned a lot about how people learn and felt very prepared when I was assigned to my class.

10.  Basically it just feels good to serve others and I know I am making a difference!

If you would like to know more about the English Skills Learning Center, e-mail programdirector.eslc@gmail.com and I’ll tell you everything you need to know!
-Kelsi Foutz, ESLC Program Director
 

No comments:

Post a Comment