The ASB trip I went on was in Seattle, WA. Each trip has a different focus, and ours was hunger and homelessness. We visited 2-3 different organizations each day, most of which included homeless resource centers and food banks. We were able to provide direct service, such as cleaning rooms and serving food, but we also received a lot of education about what each organization was doing to alleviate hunger and/or homelessness. This trip served as a great reminder of why I became involved in service in the first place. If you are not currently involved in service, these trips will inspire you to start!
Top ten reasons to go on an ASB trip next year:
10. Free t-shirt! All participants get an awesome t-shirt.
9. When people ask you what you did over your break, you’ll actually have something great to tell them! Plus, you will look like such a good person when you mentioned that you spent most of your break doing service work.
7. The trips are relatively cheap compared to what you would normally spend on a vacation. Plus, there is often scholarship money available that will cut the cost down even more!
5. Sight-seeing: Although service is a large component of the trip, there is plenty of time for seeing the city and shopping for souvenirs.
4. Networking: If you are particularly interested in the issue that your trip focuses on, you will learn a lot more about some of the organizations you could work with in the future.
3. Meet amazing people: Your staff partner, site leader, and fellow ASB participants will all be great people who are invested in service! Also, the community members you meet at the organizations you serve at will blow your mind.
1. Service! Volunteering is always great, but being able to participate in service while being in another city and making new friends makes it even better! You will be helping others, but you will also be learning a lot about yourself. It’s a win-win situation.
-Alice Ma, ASB Seattle ‘13 participant
Visit our website for more information on Alternative Breaks. Fall 2013 info coming soon.